Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dentist to Travel in a Non-Nazi Germany.

 In all, teeth, 5 of them- Gone.  The damnable dentist!  (bless his soul)  Now mind you he was the cheapest dentist around and about 84 years old.  His hands, they shook as he drove that needle in.  It hurt like hell (minimal Novocaine used).  The crazy bastard was pull happy with my frigin' teeth!
  He's dead now with his old office building condemned, to be knocked down next spring. I shouldn't complain, the old man was there when I needed him. He died about 5 1/2 years ago.  I have a permanent fear of dentists and the pain involved in every visit (although my current dentist doles out way less pain than was received from the old man.)
   Present day: New Dentist Office; in which I continually still to feel like backhanding the dentist when he rolls his crappy little chair over to my padded internment cell in the middle of the room, under those annoyingly bright lights.  I feel like a losing gladiator, with the emperor giving the gloriously evil thumbs down for me.  I obviously can't piss with the big boys. Nazi maybe, ah probably couldn't be, couldn't have been.
   Damn, Nazi's, I hate them.  My bohemian ancestors got the short end of the stick in those "cleansing camps" along with Jews, and the polish Catholics.  I went to Dachau when I went to Germany in 95' and people just didn't talk about it.  I know they were trying to forget their shamed past.  I know I would. However my pen pal family I stayed with were great.
   Their grandma's favorite song was "The yellow rose of Texas".  She couldn't speak any English, neither could the mom.  The dad and daughter could speak great English.  My German was passable at the time, not anymore though sadly.   They really were the greatest of families to stay with.  I love the hospitality, and generous nature.  They wanted me to feel comfortable with them, so they of course had Hot dogs and chips, with beer.  Being 18 years old and the drinking age being 21 in Wisconsin I was thrilled!   I noticed them all staring at me as I ripped into a hard roll to place the dog into it, slathering it in the ketchup and mustard they bought especially for me.  They looked at me like I was an alien.  I guess I was- being in Germany instead of my old America.  Then they all started to do the same thing.  I don't think anybody had seen it done that way before so it was kinda hilarious.  I smiled and ate my breaded dog, my chips, and drank my beer.  I was happy the dad totally ignored my pen pals persistent pleas not to feed me alcohol.  Man, I really liked that guy.  I feel bad bringing such lame gifts for them, but they weren't rich, and neither was I.  I went to 50th anniversary of the fire brigade (fire Dept.) (they called it Fire Brigade) I got pretty lit for just a few marks (money they had before the European Union.) Although having homes from the twelfth century,  you kinda would think there would be something in place for fires, Oh well.  I guess better late then never.  I really had a good time there.
    Germany, one of my favorite European countries.  I ran into very few people who didn't like Americans.  I supposed that if you act like an ass, then your going to treated like crap, and Americans will be marked after you as asses.  So if you travel BE NICE AND POLITE!  It's just the right thing to do.  You wouldn't want to be treated like crap, would you?  I know I sure as hell don't.  The people I have met in my many travels have been great.  Travel well, and Americans- don't act like entitled asses.  I know for the most part every country has their own people who act like jerks.  It isn't just Americans,  We all have our own dumb ass Dentists. I'm probably one of the asses, I hope not, but.......

No comments:

Post a Comment